Thursday, April 8, 2010

Food for Thought: My Possible PSA


So now's about the time when we as an English 110.01 class at OSU need to start thinking about our main focus for our PSA projects. The theme "Food and Foodways" really broadens the spectrum as far as what types of literary works, advertisements, video clips, movies, media, etc. we can choose to be the focus for an analysis of this theme and how it relates to and influences a specific culture. That being said however, I wanted to choose something that has a profound influence on our American culture as a whole. That is why out of my many, many options, I chose the following two options:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_z623Wsro or the poster itself (displayed at the top left). I feel that both the movie trailer and the poster (both based on a New York Times Bestseller) can depict a lot of information about how some of the largest food empires in America can have a pretty detrimental effect on our society. Fast food originated in the United States; to other countries, it is the food that we are known for. While the majority turn a blind eye and see those McDonald's and Burger King hubs as a place for quick and affordable "good eats," there is plenty of information about how those companies run, and about how much Americans are influenced by them that would have people boycotting these places instantly. Or maybe not. Maybe fast food has just become so incorporated into our daily lives and culture that it's almost impossible to live without.

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure if you and Young-Hwa Kim found the same source. In her blog, the poster as a metaphor is interesting to how how American are addicted to burgers. However, the truth behind is hard to swallow. I agree with there may be a lot to talk about, like the teenager and undocumented workers, the relationship with government, the ingredients they added into beef, etc. I am more afraid of not knowing what kinds to things in our food.
    Good luck~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I chose the same movie poster as a possible primary source! But mine is different version of poster, I guess. Yes, to international students like I am, fast food is one of the things that come up in my mind when I think about America. Once I was eating fast food, my American friends thought me eating fast food equals to me being Americanized. I think America is that closely related to fast food. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good material. I was thinking about this movie; however, too many students in our class choose this, so I change it to a very similar source. I think the poster you choose of this movie is very typical and full of information. The flag of United States sticks in the burger; it shows that the American food culture is all about fast food. I am sure there's more to find out in this poster and movie. Good luck on your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have preferred you to find a completely different second option, but I think that either the trailer or the poster to Fast Food Nation would be perfect. They're on the theme, they're manageable in scope, they give you enough to say. I can see you finding a wealth of secondary material about either of them, and turning it into really interesting Analytical Research Papers. A lot of people are looking at posters or trailers for this movie, so perhaps you can pool brainpower and resources!

    ReplyDelete