Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Trip to Italy








If you were wondering, these aren't simply pictures that I pulled from google images, but rather images that I pulled from my memory of Venice, Italy. You may be asking: Why these photos? I don't see you represented in any of them. There's a reason for this of course, and that's to explain the idea that pictures aren't exactly perfect representations of a vivd experience in the past. During my trip I tried to take as many photographs as possible, but not of me and my family standing in front of monuments and historical structures (though I do have a good number of those). Really the purpose of these pictures was to try and show the people close to me every part of Venice that I thought was magical; vivid, as if they were seeing things from my own perspective. Though many of these pictures represent how beautiful it was there: the color of the water, the shadows casted on some buildings as light was reflected off of others, the incredible colors of the buildings, the glorious plazas and canals,they also illustrate the art of the food created their. This also supports the idea that food, for many cultures, is an artistic representation of that culture as a whole. I am trying, like many photographers do, to take you away to these places as if you are experiencing them yourself. Think about it, when you flip through a travel magazine and see a delicious presentation of food, how do you associate that food with that culture? Does it bring back perhaps a vivid memory of a culture you have visited before? Now you tell me, what do these pictures do for you? What are you taking away from these photographs?

3 comments:

  1. Your pictures are so beautiful!!!!!!!!! I do like those and want to have a trip to Venice. I like your ideas that from the pictures we can experience it. But no offense, I' m confused whether your blog has a relationship with food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics! Since you had the experience of travelling in Italy, I think you'd better put some pics of Italian food, and talk about your feeling about or relationship with Italian food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good points! I've now updated the blog so that it is more relevant to our theme. :)

    ReplyDelete